I hate to be a lawyer and stuff, but let me begin by defining my terms. My leather-bound Black's Law Dictionary defines an "addict" as "a person who habitually uses a substance." Okay, that can include lots of things, like Vitamin Water, almonds, European football, and hugs from my wife and kids. But, the definition goes on - "esp. a narcotic drug." So I flip over to the definition of "narcotic", and I find the following: "An addictive drug." Circular definition, anyone?
I go down this road, because running has become a great habit for me for a number of reasons. Lately I've wondered if my body has, over the past two years, developed a dependence on running. I say that for at least three reasons:
1. Without it, I actually suffer from withdrawal. I become much less pleasant to be around. There have been a number of occasions in the past two years when I would bark at my wife, and she would (as only she can) calmy say "You need to go for a run." I also have much less energy throughout the day when I am not running on a consistent basis.
2. When I run in the morning, I accomplish almost twice as much and am hyperfocused at work. I have a job where being hyperfocused is a great advantage. I also have greater mental clarity - not only can I stay on task to a greater degree than otherwise, my mental processing speed improves greatly.
3. Finally, I woke up and was running at 4:15 this morning. All I can say about that is, "Hello, I'm Brian, and I have a running problem."
No comments:
Post a Comment