Friday, July 2, 2010

Annnnndddddd....he's injured, folks.

Four days into my quest for Boston, and I'm laid up with ice on my right ankle. If official training didn't start in September/October, I might take this as an omen.

I've had minimal pain in my right ankle, which I attributed to the usual aches and pains of getting back into a regular routine. I had run 15 miles this week when, on Wednesday evening, I twisted my right ankle while playing soccer with my four year old. Don't ask, it's already embarassing enough. I laid on the ground and, for the first time in my life, felt like I had reached my thirties.

Despite a valiant boast, and despite laying out running clothes, I didn't run on Thursday morning. I got out of bed at 3:00am to retrieve Tucker for feeding, and almost didn't make it to the door. But I managed, and woke up (again) around 5am and laid on the couch with the McDonald v. City of Chicago oral argument transcript, a cup of coffee, and an ice wrap. Same for last night and this morning. Last night, I reached the zenith of my personal pity party. Today I finally feel like I am on the mend, and might try a few miles in the morning. I will play that by ear.

In other news, I have not had a soda in over a week. That is a major deal for me. I have an unhealthy dependence on soda, particularly Cherry Coke, for most of my life. Like my friends who smoke, I have tried to quit numerous times. My PR is three months. I am not saying that I am trying to quit this time - I don't want to jinx myself. But if I want to qualify for Boston, desparate times call for desparate measures. This morning I tried to remember the last time I had one - I believe it was last week sometime. Since I don't remember for sure, I have decided to designate Monday, June 28 as the beginning of the Bojo No-Soda Counter (BNSC). The BNSC currently stands at 4, for four days. My BQ is anywhere from 465-500 days away. Can I make it 500 days without a soda? I don't want to think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment