Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Plan

Following is how I hope to qualify for Boston.

Today is June 29, and I ran 5 miles this morning at an 8:50 pace. I hope to establish a base between now and October 1. At the zenith of my recreational running career, I ran 40+ miles per week, in preparation for the Rocket City Marathon in December 2008. I don't know that I have time to repeat that, but want to get somewhere around 30-35 miles per week.

On October 1, I hope to begin training for a spring half marathon (current PR 1:47). To feel confident that I have a shot at running a BQ in fall 2011, I want to run mid-1:30's. As of this moment, the half will either be the Berry Half Marathon or the Georgia Half Marathon in Atlanta. Berry would be a lock, but I might run that with my wife and not race it.

After a spring half, I will move into six months of training for a fall BQ marathon. If I had to choose now, my attempt at a BQ will either be at Chicago or Chickamauga. The choice will be made on a financial basis. Chicago is my preference, but Chickamauga is local.

So that's the plan. More analysis on this later.

No comments:

Post a Comment