Friday, November 12, 2010

Bojo Bucket List (Athletic Version)

Currently, I'm training to qualify for the Boston Marathon. This is the latest in a number of athletic goals on my bucket list. Items that have been checked off include "finish a marathon", "finish a trail marathon," and "break 45min in the 10k." Having been recently inspired by my friend TK completing his first ironman, I have given thought to the remaining contents of my list, and decided to post some of them.

1. Qualify for the Boston Marathon (in progress).
2. Break 20min for the 5k (perhaps in 2011?).
3. Complete an Ironman TBD. Once I've done this, I'm still naive enough to also say that I will then shoot for Kona.
4. Complete a 50k - probably the Stump Jump, and maybe in 2011!
5. Complete a 50 miler. I love southern Virginia (where I finished my first marathon), so perhaps Iron Mountain. Eventually, I'd also like to run the Vermont 50, because I love VT too.
6. Western States (I mean come on, are you a real endurance athlete if this one is not on your list?)
7. Comrades. Preferably during a year when the course is tougher. Probably because I like pain.
8. Spartathlon. Three years of Greek in college, affinity for Mediterranean history, an opinion that the story of the Battle of Marathon is awesome, love of running a long way...it just adds up.
9. Hood to Coast. Camaraderie, brotherhood, teamwork, sleeping in the back of a van in between stages...and Oregon, baby. What's not to love?
10. Finally - I want to watch my children grow into athletes, develop an attitude of sportsmanship, learn to win well, learn to lose well, and not only know the agony of defeat and the exhiliration of winning, but the quiet joy and inner peace that comes from simply competing well and doing your best.

I'm sure there are more that I am forgetting, and others that are not run/tri related, such as playing one season of soccer in an adult league. I'll add those as I think of them.
BB

No comments:

Post a Comment